09-08-2017 Thank You for Being Late: an optimist's guide to thriving in the age of accelerations by Thomas L. Friedman
It does not take a Rhodes scholar or a poli-sci major to draw the conclusion that, to some degree or another, the world is going to hell in a hand basket. For those of us of a certain age, this comes as no major surprise, but what causes many of us considerable alarm is the fact that the skids beneath that hand basket have been liberally greased and the speed of said basket is getting to be breath-taking... read more.
News from Amber Polo, Library Volunteer:
- Tuesday, October 10th - Open Book Book Club 10 am-noon. A book club for readers sharing with readers. Come and tell other readers about books you’ve read. Continues the Second Tuesday of the Month.
- Tuesday, October 17th - Writing for Fun and More 10 am-noon– Bring a bit of your writing to share. Meet other writers the third Tuesday of the Month. Topic for October: Amber Polo will talk about her experience using Reedsy to hire an editor. Bring questions.
Indie Author Day Event - Camp Verde Community Library, Saturday, October 14, 2017, 10:00 am – 2:00 pm. The free public event will include 4 sessions.
- 10:00a: Sharing stories jogged by historical artifacts
- 11:00a: Author, Melissa Bowersock presents preserving and sharing family stories. Includes tips on how to get family members talking (especially with the holidays coming up), how to record them, then transcribe them
- 12:00p: Indie author open mic - 5 minutes per reading and/or a glimpse behind the scenes of the writing process
- 1:00p: Meet indie authors, network, chat and browse the books
Write for children? From picture books to young adult novels? Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators - Northern Arizona Area KidLitMingle Non SCBWI Members are welcome to attend an informal get-together to talk about books, writing, illustrating, publishing, etc. and all the related joys and challenges before deciding to join SCBWI. http://www.scbwi.org/
Cottonwood Public Library – Groups for writers - EVERY Tuesday –
- Writing for Fun Tuesdays - 9 to 10:30
- Creative Writing Tuesdays - 10:45 - 12:30
COTTONWOOD BOOK FAIR Saturday Oct 28th 9 am – noon. Sponsored by the Cottonwood Public Library. At the Verde Valley Fairgrounds during Fall Festival.
The Phantasm Book Club at the Beaver Creek (Rimrock) Public Library
Oct 21st – 10 am Doctor Sleep by Stephen King.
Monday, Open Mic Night with Gary Simpkins – at Thanks a Latte in Camp Verde. 5:30 pm – 8:30 pm. Musicians, singers, poets, comedians, performers welcome. Want to perform? Arrive at 5 pm to sign up. Or just come to listen, and enjoy the great food and coffee. (Every Monday night)
BOOK FESTIVALS -
- NORTHERN ARIZONA BOOK FESTIVAL - FLAGSTAFF – October 6th & 7th. For information, see website http://www.nazbookfest.org/wp/ Saturday, October 7th, 2017 — all day Free,Located throughout the historic downtown, events will take place at Uptown Pubhouse, Firecreek and Bright Side Bookstore! http://www.nazbookfest.org
- PRESCOTT FALL FEST ON THE PLAZE October 7th & 8th, Court House Square. PWP authors will sell their books both days.
- Professional Writers of Prescott Local Author Book Sale – Saturday, November 4th – Prescott Valley Public Library
- TEMPE BOOK FESTIVAL Saturday, November 4, 2017 10 am - 3 pm. Local authors, publishers, booksellers, panel discussions, youth story times & more! www.tempe.gov/Book Festival
Professional Writers of Prescott: Meetings are on the 4th Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. except November & and December. Usually in the Prescott Valley Public Library Crystal Room.
- October 25th – SUSAN LANNING -Experiences in Self-Publishing Panel of three to present onProcess, Problems, Solutions – followed by Q/A
- November 15th – MERLE MCCANN – Writing Series for Children
- December 12th – HOLIDAY PARTY
PWP MEMBER EVENTS
- SATURDAY WORKSHOPS Saturday workshops are free to PWP members
- CAROL LEVIN WORKSHOPS -Carol Levin will have monthly writing workshops at the downtown public library. Prescottlibrary.info or (928) 777-1526.