Leigh Bardugo is a highly successful writer of fantasy novels for young adults. I am neither a young adult nor much of a reader of fantasy. I'm not sure what prompted me to pick up this book, perhaps it was something that went bump in the night. As I read this book, it occurred to me that we all were spoon fed fantasy as soon as someone began telling or reading to us the adventures of Hansel and Grettle or the hazards of swapping all of your money for a handful of beans....read more
Pick up the Spring Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) catalog!
New writing workshops -
- Writing Our Way to Happiness
- Writing and Being – Creative Journaling
- Writing Your Memoirs - Anne Crosman
- Preserving Your Precious Memories Easily
And OLLI for Readers
- May 4th– Discussion of “Sapiens: An Overview of Human History” by Yuval Noah Harari
- OLLI members - Out to Lunch Book Group – Discuss books over lunch
At Camp Verde Community Library
Tuesday, April 10th 10:00a-noon: Open Book Book Club
A book club for readers sharing with readers. Come and tell other readers about books you’ve read. Continues the 2nd Tuesday of the Month. (This month in the Key Lime room.)
Tuesday, April 17th 10:00a-noon: Writing for Fun & More
Bring a sample of your writing to share. Meet other writers the 3rd Tuesday of the Month.
If You Write for Children or Young Adults –
SCBWI Critiquenic Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators
Meets at Sedona Public Library Saturday, April 28th 10:00a-noon
It's a free event, open to any writer or illustrator wishing to have their work or portfolio critiqued by SCBWI staff. All genres will be represented: Picture book, Middle Grade, and Young Adult.
Materials Required: Bring 5 copies of no more than 5 pages of your current Work-In-Progress, printed on 8.5″ x 11″ paper, double-spaced, in 12 point readable font, with 1-inch margins. On the first page of the document, the author’s name and contact information appears in the top left corner.
- 9:30a Check-in
- 10:00a Brief Overview of Critiquing and Feedback Process
- 10:15a Break Into Groups for Practicum
At Cottonwood Public Library
- Writing for Fun Tuesdays - 9:00a to 10:30a
- Creative Writing Tuesdays - 10:45a - 12:30p
- Great Conversations, a PBS television series, showcasing a diverse and fascinating array of authors and interviewers from a wide range of fields including politics, science, education, public journalism, and the arts. Cottonwood Public Library will host a discussion group facilitated by Velda Bice. The group will watch an episode of the program followed by a discussion of the featured author and their book, as well as topics covered in the episode. Continuing on the second Thursday of each month 10:00a to noon in the library's Meeting Room B.
Short Story and Poetry Collection Professional Writers of Prescott (PWP)
2018 PWP monthly meetings will be held at the Prescott Public Library on the 4th Tuesday of every month from 6:00p to 7:45p in the Founders Suite on the Library’s 1st floor.
PWP MEMBER EVENTS
SATURDAY WORKSHOPS - free to PWP members
Carol Levin’s Monthly Writing Workshops at Prescott Public Library. Register at prescottlibrary.info or call (928) 777-1526.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *